Skip to content


Mission Year is pleased to offer you the opportunity to earn up to 12 undergraduate academic credits if you are a student at Eastern University. Our goal is to provide you a sound academic experience without compromising your Mission Year.

You will receive credit for Urban Issues I and II, courses which will connect your day-to-day experiences with theoretical content.  The other six credits will be Field Experience and Internship. These courses provide an academic framework for experiential learning and include reading, short papers, and journaling.

The cost is only $425, which is a fraction of what you pay at a university.

Undergraduate Credit FAQs

What college credit is available during Mission Year?

Eastern University students are able to receive 12 units of college credit at a very low cost. The courses are titled Urban Issues 330 and Urban Field Experience 395 & 495.

Do I have to do additional reading in order to fulfill the requirements for Mission Year Academia?

You will read all of the same books that are part of the general Mission Year curriculum reading.  In addition, you will be required to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire. Mission Year will provide this book to you.

Can someone graduating high school participate in the undergraduate credit, even though they have not met the two semesters of college requirement? Do advanced placement classes help?

Unfortunately, you do not qualify for enrollment as an Eastern University Mission Year student because you are not currently enrolled as a student in good standing at Eastern University. If you decide to attend Eastern at a later time, we can provide you with a certificate of completion so that you will be able to receive the 12 credits.

What if I change my mind and decide to transfer to another college?

At this time, Eastern University is the only institution that has agreed to accept the 12 credits. Feel free to have your school contact us so that we may advocate for your experience, but we cannot promise anything at this time.

Is it possible that my university will give me credit simply for participating in Mission Year without having to work with Eastern or write the papers?

It’s certainly worth a try. You’ll need to negotiate this directly with your university. We’ll respond to any questions from the university. We have had students do this successfully at both an undergraduate and graduate level. They are getting credit directly from the university and not through an Eastern transcript. Many colleges are willing to offer students some credit for “field experience” or “service learning”.

Can I get financial aid?

It is not possible to get financial aid, but the total cost is only $425 (about $35 a credit) and your living expenses are covered by Mission Year. So it’s a pretty remarkable deal.

Will I be considered a full-time student for insurance purposes?

Typically a full-time student is taking at least 12 units in a semester. Academic Credit participants are taking only six units a semester. Check with your insurance company about their requirements.

How do I get my transcript from Eastern?

The course through Mission year is not accredited, meaning you cannot get a transcript. That said, through our partnership with Eastern University, they will honor the Certificate of Completion you receive for finishing the course, and you will receive the 12 credits.

I’m ready. What next?

Students interested in pursuing the undergraduate partnership with Eastern University must first apply to Mission Year. Near the start of your Mission Year, you will receive instructions on the paperwork needed to confirm your undergraduate participation.

For more information contact our Academic Director Chris Lahr. To learn about graduate opportunities, click here.


MY + EU INST 330, 395 & 495 Syllabus